Wednesday, April 04, 2012

So I've got an absolute dearth of items to blog about, and as delightful as my tot conversations are to me, I think I need to branch out a bit. So in order to keep my blog from going completely belly up, and give myself some shame induced motivation, I'm going to go on the record as making this announcement: I am training for a half marathon.
Yes, it is true. I was supposed to do it last year with Zar, but I wimped out when he started routinely trotting 8 miles each day and I was still giving myself high fives when I broke 2 miles. I'm still, unfortunately, at that level. But I want it to happen this year, and I have a system in place, I've lost a little weight and I'm hoping third time is the charm. Way back when I started running a little bit to get ready for some race for the Leukemia and Lymphoma society, but then I got pg with the Boof and naively thought I got continue to run, until week 8 or so when my boobs began to feel like....well, uncomfortable. My post-3-babies boobs are much more equipped (or should I say Less...) to handle the training, especially when situated in what my co-worker referred to as my "Harness" the other day. Because she works out in a toddler's under shirt. Complete with little bow. (Wow. I said boobs on my blog like twice. I guess I'm really throwing caution to the wind.) Anyway, then last year I started running with Zar, and it was great, and we ran around liberty park and it felt awesome, and then once the distances squeaked beyond my aforementioned wall of 2 miles, I decided the couch felt more awesome.
So I'm gonna do it this time. I know it's just a half, and not that big of a deal, and anyone can do it, but the point is, I'm going to do it, and I'm going to finish, and I'm gonna be proud about it for the rest of my couch loving life.
So this is week one of my commitment. I ran four miles on my mom's treadmill the other day, and it was my first "long slow run" (I know, I'm in for a shock) and I ran the whole time, and then that night I was exhausted and had a splitting headache and slept like a rock. I took the day off yesterday from exercise (you know, to recover from my long slow run) and cried at work for a few hours over unrelated and really not-a-big-deal reasons, (you would think I'd be mentally tougher.) So today I loaded my kids in the van for a trip up to the cemetery, all decked out in my running togs, harness and GPS equipped iphone, ksl $20 jogging stroller and toddlers. Ella brought her scooter which I figured would last a few minutes at best, but instead of my vigourous run we logged one forty minute mile, complete with much sqauking, squirrel sightings, and clearing paths of rocks before venturing forward. It was a lovely stroll. Of course then my phone betrayed me by posting my "run" to facebook as soon as I hit end. Thanks.
Then I came home delighted that my kids were exhausted from our big run and to celebrate I ate Ella's lucky charms she requested for lunch and then fell asleep before eating. Then I ate four more girl scout cookies, (they are almost gone!!) a large and not-very-tasty lemon cookie Zar brought home, and a handful of jelly bellys to calm myself when Ella woke up minutes later just as I got all prepared for a nap. And really, those few hours were enough to convince me I need to scrap this whole plan and stop pretending I can become a fabled runner. Which is why I'm here to put it out there. This is happening, and I'm going to eat a sleeve of thin mints tonight so they will no longer be a hinderance.
Once I can get over my phobia of "being seen" I might be able to get out for runs before Zar wakes up, but if you know me and sleep you know that's going to be a push. Also oh my goodness those tots are so heavy in that stroller with one leaky tire. I don't know how it's going to happen. But I'm putting it out there. Because shame is a powerful thing.

4 comments:

Susan said...

You can do hard things!

Alex said...

I like that Ella fell asleep before eating her lucky charms.

Cristina said...

Your announcement pricked my own shame. I've only had a work-out time "set aside" on my calendar since January. Can you guess the number of times I've worked out? ZERO. Maybe I'll work-out later today. I need to finish this dozen chocolate covered marshmallow eggs first... (Yup, I thought I was "smart" by not buying the cadbury eggs. I am weak.)

Allison said...

Oooof. I want to do this one day too but every time I think I might try I remember how much I hate running. And I'm really enjoying exercising right now and I know running would completely ruin it. Ugh...someday. Way to go!