Sunday, July 24, 2011

Some Thoughts on Names

Buzz Lightyear




....or what was going through my head last night while I was trying to fall asleep.



We named Ella Eleanor because there are so many options nickname -wise. And then we went with Ella. Sometimes I wish we had gone with Nora. I think Grandma E would have liked Nell.

Although right now she insists her name is Jesse or Buzz Lightyear, so I guess it's a non-issue.


I would have loved so many nickname options with my name, having gone by my middle name, Sinclair, for a year when I was in 2nd grade. I was too shy to ask my 3rd grade teacher, at a different school with different kids, to call me Sinclair, so I went back to Erin, which was probably good. Although it was fun to have old school mates come up and call me Sinclair in front of new friends for the next couple years.





I didn't like my name when I was 12 because the old ladies at the nursing homes we visited for mutual would always yell "That's a boy's name!!" So sometimes I would tell them my name was Karen.


Kind of like how my dad would tell restaurant hostesses our last name was "Parsons" convinced they couldn't pronounce our not-all-that-difficult last name.



I was convinced in high school that if my name were Lydia, I would be beautiful, and if my name were Sam I would be confident and athletic. And my struggles with my weight were due only to my short, non-exactly feminine name. Which is funny because then, what about Sam?



I wrote a poem as a teenager about my future daughter, and I titled it "Danielle". A year later I renamed it "Lucy". Then "Audrey", And later, "Carmen". Now we have a cat named Carmen, and four daughters, none of whom are named Danielle, Lucy, or Audrey.



I think the most beautiful name in the world is Charlotte. Charlotte's middle name is Grace, and Ava's middle name is Mahalet, which was given by her beautiful birth mom. She said it means "Grace". Ava means "like a bird."



Nowadays I like my name.


Lily's name was perfect for her. The last line of her obituary, which I read the other day for the first time since I wrote it, was "May you bloom ever brighter until we meet again." The lily bulbs we were sent after she died started blooming this week.



It's probably good I only have daughters; the only boy names I like are Jake and Kyle. My brother and my dad. And Reza. Which would just be strange. And John. And no son of Zar is going to be named John. Reza makes more sense.

I don't even think of my husband's name as different anymore, although the night I met him he pulled out his license to prove he was telling the truth.


My sister went through a phase where she daily changed her name to a different flower name--Rose, Violet, Lilac. She suggested Sunset as a good name for our new baby sister. I suggested Diane, which was immediately shot down as apparently my dad had dated a girl by that name. Which was traumatic for a kindergartner to hear. We were at Wendy's. I had never considered that my parents had once not been my parents.


I love the name Wendy.


mmmm.


A Frosty sounds good.




















8 comments:

Alex said...

All your children have beautiful names. Everyone says that when I repeat them- and I agree, Charlotte may just be the prettiest name ever.

Anonymous said...

Are you pregnant?!

Allison said...

Remember how I wanted to name my daughter Cherry? I thought it would be so great to be able to decorate her room with cherry wallpaper and a cherry bedspread. Very Mary Englebreit. Still like Sunset. :)

Becky said...

You are FUNNY! I love all the unique names that you talked about. But the ones for your daughters? PERFECT!

Erin said...

I am not pregnant, nor will I ever be.

Carleton & Robyn said...

Love your fun posts. You are funny.

We have Angel Wings said...

I agree that all your daughters have beautiful names, just like their mother. :)

Loved reading this post!

Our first pregnancy we had Jewelz picked out for a little girls name and now I have a cat named Jewelz and she's just as sassy as can be.

Isn't it funny how we wish we could change our names? I hope Brielle likes her name and doesn't think it's weird! Or maybe we'll have fun coming up with a make believe name for her when she's old enough.

Oh, and lets meet at Wendy's for a frosty. Sounds delicious. :)

wendy said...

my name is wendy and i HATED it most of my life. i really like it now.

i like sinclair. a lot.