Thursday, June 30, 2011

Happy 6th Birthday Booferd





Our first born, Booferd de doo, aka Charlotte Grace, would have been six years old today. We celebrated three birthdays with our special girl, and now, three without. (not counting her Birth Day, that is.) Luckily the sour mood I have been in for a couple weeks has lifted, as well it should! Boof's birth day was the brightest happiest day of my life, and not a day to be looked back on with any semblance of sadness. It was incredible. After she was born I had no pain despite having been in labor all day and then having a c-section. I was on an incredible high and it wasn't from the drugs. The memories are sharp and clear and I felt like I could have run a marathon. I have not had the same experience with my other kids births. (Not even Ava's...that day was exhausting.) Charlotte's whole life was like having a window to heaven in our home.
For the past four years we have celebrated Boof's birthday with a little backyard BBQ at a dear friend's home. This year we decided to celebrate Lily's at the same time, due partially to the fact her birthday is less than a week after Ella's and also because a warm bright summer BBQ seems the perfect way to celebrate such sweet little lives.
It has been no secret that Lily's Birth day and entire life was much more touch and go and difficult than Charlotte's was. It was hard. Charlotte's was hard too but there was enough joy and incredible highs to soften the worst moments. Lily was a little too close to heaven to stay firmly on this earth. Every other moment she was being pulled away. I thought about that fact when we released pink and white balloons into the warm June evening last weekend. What a fitting tribute for a little girl who wasn't meant to be grounded here for long.
We love you little girls. One more June closer to being with you both again.

7 comments:

Allison said...

perfect girls. love you so much. xoxoxoxoxo

Shannon said...

Love you Boof and Lils! I remember Boofs birthday like it was yesterday- It really was so incredible. I remember going to the hospital and watching them give her a bath in your room and just having my heart race because I was so excited that she had chosen to linger with us. It was amazing. Both of your girls were such a joy- and I love them like they were mine. I am so glad that you let me share them with you. Love you Beanis.

Tara said...

It was the perfect way to remember two perfect girls. Thanks for letting us be a part of it. xo

Anonymous said...

You love all of your girls so well!

Dannette

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Booferd! We miss both Boo and Lily.

Carleton & Robyn said...

Wow! I love your thoughts. Reading this makes me a better person.

Becky said...

This post makes me teary...so early in the morning. Glad to see you celebrating your wonderful and most amazing girls...all of them. xo