Thursday, July 01, 2010

Robbed.

So, creepy story.
Just to make it somewhat funny, I will tell you I bought a brand new Panasonic Lumix Camera at Costco yesterday, as a birthday gift for Charlotte...that was my justification anyway. My old camera was blurry and lousy and I was never thrilled with the Olympus brand and their stupid different-than-everyone-else's memory cards. And I figured I needed a decent camera for my new baby and baby to come, and that I would spend a little more money this time and actually take care of it and not just toss it unprotected in my purse and let Ella carry it about and throw it down the stairs.
I used my new camera to take pictures of old prints from Charlotte's birth which I posted on my last post, which as you can see worked pretty well. I took a few beautiful pics of Charlotte's balloon release last night and of Charlotte's decorated birthday headstone. Sigh. I was so impressed with the pictures I took the camera out last night, scrolled through the pictures and then lovingly placed the camera in it's case and on the kitchen counter.
I should also mention that I had not quite told Zar yet about my new purchase, and had actually, when he noticed the new camera, told him it was my mother's. I know, I know, but it was just not the time or place for a big old discussion on spending habits. I was gonna tell him today.
So we slept in this morning until almost 8, and then I carried my two girls downstairs and started fixing Ella her protein pancake, milk and blueberry breakfast. And I noticed that my OLD camera charger was unplugged from the wall and placed on the counter. I froze. Zar had figured out that there were now TWO chargers in the wall, making it unlikely I was using my mom's camera. And unfortunately I had lied about the whole thing...so that's not great...
I also noticed my purse and wallet were on the floor and I wondered if he had been searching for a receipt. And then I noticed that the back sliding door was open, which was very strange, as Zar never opens that door and locks all the doors before coming to bed. And then, of course, I noticed that the Wii was gone. And the computer. And my phone.
So I screamed for Zar who was upstairs getting ready for work, and he rushed down and verified that his work computer was also gone, which comes home with him every night since the robbery at his office a few months ago.
And I said "And my camera is gone too!" and he said "Your camera or your moms?" and I said..."uh...both...."
And then I said "okay they were both my cameras."
And he was very nice about it. I think he was a little distracted.
So sometime between the time Zar fed Ava downstairs at 3 am, and a phone call was made from my stolen phone at 6:30 am, someone came into our backyard, opened our back door (which was not locked) came in and stole our stuff. Which is pretty dang scary. The police came and were very nice and not too encouraging, no shock there. No one else on our street was hit. And I figure it was someone who was able to scope out the place, look in our windows, see we had no dog, see we were a small and nonthreatening people, see I opened the back door for Ella all day every day, and decided to come in and gently and quietly take our stuff. I am grateful they didn't take my credit cards. I am grateful they carefully placed my dumb little figurines and stuff from the mantle onto the floor to remove the Wii. I am grateful I didn't wake up and hear them, or go downstairs to make a bottle with them here, because then I think I would be way more freaked out and messed up than I am now, if not physically, at least emotionally. So with new locks and motivation to use them, I think I will be fine.

7 comments:

Becky said...

Are you KIDDING?!? I am SO sorry. I hope you were able to get all the pictures off the camera before it was stolen. WOW!

Shannon said...

That seriously scares me to death. I am so so so glad that you guys slept through it- instead of waking up and having whoever it was freak out. I can't beleive that they were gutsy enough to come in your home while you were there!! I am so glad that you all are ok.

ANewKindOfPerfect said...

Oh my gosh! Like Becky said, I hope you had unloaded the camera memory before they stole it. I cannot even imagine how violated and icky it must feel knowing that someone was in your hous like that.

Thank goodness you didn't wake up and confront them.

Okay, and I have to admit I giggled a bit at your husband asking "Your camera or your Mom's camera"?

Becky said...

I would still cancel those cards. They could have written the numbers down to make you think they were ok. How scary!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am so sorry for your loss - glad it was nothing worse. I lock all my doors and the screen, and I even close my own bedroom door, in case something like that happens, so they might not even open my door and scare me!

Carolyn H.

The Snell Family said...

That is so scary. I am so sorry that someone did that to you guys. I think you have enough to deal with. Really makes you feel exposed and nervous. I hope they find the jerk that did this to you.
Glad you are all unharmed.
loves!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry! That's awful and I am grateful that you and your little family slept through the whole event.

For the items that were stolen that were purchased using a credit card (or a debit card with a major credit card logo, i.e. Visa, Mastercard, ect), you can call the credit card company and explain what happened and a lot of times the credit card company will replace the item. Just a thought, and maybe a small help for replacing those items.