Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Considering Lily


Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.
Matthew 6:28-29

Zar and I went to our 20 week ultrasound today. We weren't really sure what to hope for. We just want to be as prepared as possible for what is to come. I kept thinking that maybe there would be some extreme malformation that would make it unlikely that Lily would live for more than a few minutes. Not that I would necessarily want that outcome, but it would make planning easy, and we would not plan on bringing home another newborn in October.
Lily, actually, looks quite healthy. There isn't evidence of trigoncephaly yet (Charlotte's pointed forehead that required surgery at 8 months) she has no cleft lip, she has a 3 vessel cord, she has a four chambered heart, she has two kidneys, her brain ventricles look normal, her spinal cord looks normal, her limbs and feet and hands look normal. She was sucking her thumb, (as you may be able to see in the photo) and swallowing and moving about.
She does have increased skin on the back of her neck, and the doctor thought he could see some edema on her forehead, which could point to serious cardiac issues. We are going back in six weeks to look at her vessels and see if anything is missing or blocked.
Am I happy about the results? Well...at this point they point to an increased probability of us bringing Lily home. Which of course will be a blessing, but also will be very difficult. I was happy to see all her cute little body parts, I loved seeing her open and close her mouth and suck her thumb, and I began to feel connected to her which I admit, is a change.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any information is good. I love her name, I love the fact she was sucking her thumb, I love the modern miracle of being able to find things out ahead of time -- so unlike the pioneers! I love modern medicine, and I love you all.

Love, Carolyn H.

Susan said...

Of course, her name is perfect! It's easy to love a thumb sucker. I remember feeling a real connection with the ultrasound. Thanks for sharing.
Susie

Susan said...

Of course I mean a connection with the baby during and after the ultrasound.

ANewKindOfPerfect said...

I love Lily, it's a beautiful name. :) I can only imagine how hard this is to deal with. Emotionally, and then later, physically. I know that you will be ready when the time comes. I am glad there are no severe problems right now. I pray that it continues this way!

Your little Ava is absolutely one of the most gorgeous babies I have ever seen! :)