Wednesday, November 04, 2009


It's my birthday. I'm 29. I'm fine with it. We will see if next year hits me differently.
For now, I don't mind getting older.
I have two beautiful daughters, one of whom I'm only getting closer to seeing as I get older, and one of whom I love watching get older along with me.
I have a wonderful husband who got me the wii fit plus but said "I'm not trying to hint at anything with this..."
I'm close to my fantastic hilarious parents and sisters and brother and parents and sisters and brothers in law. It's funny how when you are a teenager you might refer family time as "doing time" and when you are older it's all you want to do. While I was 28 I greeted a new daughter, and said goodbye to my other. I gained a new brother and my other one came home. While I am 29 I think there will be more hellos.
I have friends who have supported me and assisted me through this difficult year with conversation and lunches and little pick me ups. And big pick me ups.
I have my faith. I have my health. I have a cat and a tiny frog. I have a job.
Every year I get closer to finding peace with my body, with my inborn dislike for most foods green and my voracious appetite for cheese and cookies.
Every year I am more and more grateful I became a nurse.
Every year I find some new thing that brings me joy--this year it was the slug ridden, tomato ruled garden. Or as Zar called it, the Useless Harvest. But it made summer more summery.
And I learned to curl my hair with a flat iron. So really I'm approaching perfection.

8 comments:

Kelly said...

I love your outlook - and that photo is amazing. Here's wishing you many hellos this year. Happy birthday!

Jennifer said...

As always, your strength and optimism amaze me. I HOPE that your 29th year is everything that you want it to be.

Keep focusing on the positive.

Happy birthday!

Becky said...

LOVE that picture! :) Life IS good...and I'm glad that you have so much to be thankful for, including family members that are really close! (I wish mine were a smidge closer)

katherine said...

happy birthday! you are darling!

Michelle said...

Beautiful You're a wonderful writer, Erin. And the fact that you've mastered curling your hair with a flat iron, what else is there really? :)

Shannon said...

I love this post. Your outlook on life really is incredible. Happy Birthday Erin! You are the greatest.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!!
You deserve the best because you are the best. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and insights.

A. Murdock

Anonymous said...

Erin, I love your blog. It brings us closer together though we seldom see each other. Much love to you all. Have a great, great year!

Love, Carolyn H.