Thursday, May 21, 2009
What would you do in our situation? I really do want to know. These are all potential options, although we have more or less ruled some of them out.
Option 1: Just keep trying to have a child naturally and hope and pray everything turns out okay.
Option 2: Try naturally, go through prenatal testing at 9 weeks and do a D&E if there is a problem.
Option 3: Start the adoption process ASAP. This will cost between $7000 and $20000.
Option 4: Do IVF with PGD--this costs about $15000 to $18000. Our chances for getting a normal embryo are about 78% and if we are so lucky our chances of having it implant resulting in pregnancy will be about 80%.
Option 5: Look into other options, namely using donor sperm. This will cost about $500 and will not require IVF. Whole other can of emotional worms with this one.
Option 6: Thank God we have one healthy happy baby and one wonderful daughter in heaven and leave it at that.
I hate to bring money into this. I really do, it seems so inappropriate and shallow, but it's a fact of life unfortunately. At the same time, I keep thinking of the money spent on a new car, or a down payment on a house or graduate school, and getting our family here seems so much more important than any of those, so shouldn't money be no object?
We are currently debating whether to run IVF test number 2, the $2000 one. If Zar is going to want to do IVF regardless of the results of that one, I don't see why we should bother doing the test. I've put that question to the doctor and am waiting to hear back.
Today is the 3 month anniversary since losing Charlotte. I went to the gym early today and gave a thank you card with a picture of Charlotte to the Gym Kid's Club lady who cried yesterday when I had to tell her Charlotte was not at preschool. I cannot believe I haven't been to the gym since then. To be fair they wouldn't let Ella stay in the kid's club until she was 6 months old, so what could I do?
I am doing well today. I've gotten some exercise, I ate a salad last night with lettuce from my own darling little garden, I'm going later today to pick out a font for Charlotte's headstone, and it's a beautiful day. I'm in family planning limbo, but that's okay. We'll figure it out.
Still, opinions please.