Wednesday, February 04, 2009


There are small, simple, wonderful things in life that make it worth living.
I get to go find Valentines to send with Charlotte to school next week for her classmates. Ella wore her new Dalmatian outfit last night, complete with doggie ears on the hood. I slept til 8 this morning as did my kids. Filling my face with canned whipped cream out of the fridge, which I've done three times today. Watching "What Not to Wear" for two straight hours. The sun through the window that reminds me of spring, and the Costco Sunflowers on the table. Just simple things.
There are big, wonderful things too, amazing once in a lifetime things that surprise you and change you and make you want to call everyone you've ever met.
The morning Charlotte first reached for a toy, one week after her skull surgery. The morning I found out for almost certain that Ella would be healthy. Meeting Shannon's new little boy...who fooled everyone for months into thinking he was a girl.
And then last night, getting the phone call to tell me that Charlotte is now officially a "Make A Wish Kid." Waking her up this morning to tell her she is going to Disney World in a few months, and maybe will get to ride a horse, and get pictures with every character in the park, and not wait in any lines, and just have an amazing time where it will be all about her and she will get all the attention she can stand. And not knowing exactly how much she understands, but having her smile and laugh and pull my face in for a kiss.

3 comments:

Terry Family said...

Erin I am so happy you get to do Make-A-Wish! It was the most amazing experience ever with Zach. If they give you the choice, choose to stay at the villiage so you can do the horseback riding and everything else. They have a Christmas night where Santa comes and there are different characters that come to the village everyday for kids so they don't have to try and catch them at the park. I am just so excited for you!!!

Marsha said...

Congrats! I'm so happy for you and your family. That will be so fun!

Shannon said...

YAY! YAY! YAY!! I am so thrilled for you guys! If anyone deserves something this wonderful it is you. Boo has been through hell and back again and it is so great that she will get to spend even just a little bit of time at the "Happiest Place on Earth" and just not have to think about anything for a little while. It just makes me all teary when I think about it!