Wednesday, February 25, 2009


The 2nd poem from my talk today. A few people asked for copies.


In Charlotte's new room filled with glory and light

a dear little girl rests soundly tonight

and grandmas and grandpas have tucked her in tight.

A brown dog rests her head at the foot of her bed

near a big stack of storybooks just freshly read.

She listens to lullabyes with good little ears

stretches little strong legs which brought her here

and of needles and haircuts she has no fear.

Her only regret is she knows we are sad

she looks down and says "Goodnight Mom and Dad-

I'm safe and I'm happy in this Heavenly place

I'm strong and I'm glad there's no tube on my face.

When I first arrived with a dance and a twirl

Jesus held me and said "Well done little girl-

You did just what you were sent there to do

You brought nothing but joy and perspective too

And all those who met you saw Me in you."


They gave me a big party with suckers galore

and beads and monkeys, but daddy, there's more!

I can do all the things I could not do before.

I'm glad Ella is with you, you'll be alright

Don't want you to miss getting up in the night

and when missing me is too much to bear

I'll send a kiss through my sister, you'll know I am there.

Goodnight mom and dad, I'll see you so soon

I can't wait to show you my new princess room!

Thank you for taking such good care of me

Now I'll watch over you and my whole family.'




12 comments:

Lincoln said...

That's good stuff. Very good stuff. I was going to ask for it as well. Good to see you today. Take care and God bless.

Terry Family said...

Erin, that poem was absolutely beautiful. I was so moved. We love and miss Boo, but I know she's loving her sweet princess room, stealing away a few kisses to her little sister to pass on. We love you guys and we're praying for you.

Spliz said...

I found this poem so touching-your whole talk was lovely. I'm glad we could be there to celebrate Charlotte's life--thank you for sharing with us.

Shannon said...

You are such a gofted writer Erin. Your poems are beautiful. I was afraid my crying was going to turn into the really ugly- wailing like a little girl cry when you were reading this poem. I am so glad that you decided to post it. Just to tell you again- I was so proud of you today. You handled everything with so much dignity and grace. The hordes of people clamoring for your attention- during a time when I don't know if I would even know people were talking to me...You made everybody feel like they were the important ones- instead of yourself-which was so incredible considering the circumstances. You truly are an amazing person. And I absolutely love and adore you.

Susie said...

I was so hoping you'd post it! Thank you. I love to think of Charlotte saying those things and being happy in heaven.
Much love,
Susie

Alex Drake said...

I loved all the talks yesterday. The whole thing was just wonderful and a great celebration of her life. I'm glad that we could be a part of it and help out. Best wishes and lots of love.

Amanda said...

I am so proud of you. You handled yourself like a champ yesterday. You call did. And considering the circumstances, that is amazing. I took my mom to see Boofus today. We stood up the flowers that had fallen over. It was sunny and warm and I know Boofus was there. I asked her to watch over Jack, I hope that's okay.

Marsha said...

It's an amazing poem. I feel so blessed to be your friend and to have known Charlotte. You are such a wonderful example and such a joy to be around. Love you!

kristen said...

Erin, you are so amazing! Charlotte was such a sweet little girl and she had such amazing parents to give her an amazing life! I love your poem, it is so precious. We love you guys so much!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for posting this. Love, Linda

Becky said...

I found it...even though you recited it to me...I still wanted to go back and read it. BEAUTIFUL Erin...and that's not even good enough to describe this poem. Thank you for sharing. :)

Kelly @ Sufficient Grace Ministries said...

So incredibly beautiful...